The VC women's tennis team dropped a narrow 5-4 decision at Bakersfield College on Thursday afternoon. Sylvie Van Cott did not drop a game in her singles and doubles match to lead the Pirate charge. Van Cott and Aline Rojas won their No. 1 doubles contest 8-0, then Van Cott posted a love and love win in No. 1 singles. Allison Jones and Denissa Garcia also posted singles wins for the Pirates (6-5, 3-5).
Van Cott moved to 12-0 on the season in singles play with her triumph at the No. 1 slot. She has not lost a game in five consecutive sets. In No. 1 doubles, Van Cott and Rojas moved to 9-2 on the year.
The Pirates trailed 2-1 coming out of doubles competition. Van Cott evened the match with her victory at No. 1 singles and Jones won at No. 3, 6-2, 6-3. Garcia posted a 6-3, 6-4 victory at No. 4, but VC dropped the Nos. 5 and 6 singles matches to even the score at 4-4. Rojas then fell in a heartbreaking 3-set thriller at No. 2 singles, 7-5, 6-7, 6-3.
The match will be the final competition for the Pirates for a while as Ventura College Athletics and the California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) have postponed all spring sports indefinitely due to the COVID-19 outbreak across the country.
Ventura 4, Bakersfield 5
1. Van Cott/Rojas (VC) def. Wernhart/Purvis (BC) 8-0 Stanisavljevic/MacAdam (CoC), 8-3
2. Jones/Thompson (VC) lost to De La Cruiz/Sill (BC), 8-2
3. Garcia/Isabella DeRosa(VC) lost to Alderete/Cedillo (BC), 8-4
1. Sylvie Van Cott (VC) def. Grecia De La Cruz (BC), 6-0, 6-0
2. Aline Rojas (VC) lost to Katelyn Wernhart (BC), 7-5, 6-7, 6-3
3. Allison Jones (VC) def. Hannah Purvis (BC), 6-2, 6-3
4. Denissa Garcia (VC) def. Tanya Cedillo (BC), 6-3, 6-4
5. Tanya Thompson (VC) lost to Ella Sill (BC), 6-2, 6-4
6. Dee Emami (VC) lost to Lexie Alderete (BC), 6-1, 6-0