The Ventura College women's tennis team dropped a 5-4 decision to visiting Santa Monica Thursday afternoon at the VC Tennis Center. After taking a 2-1 lead in doubles, the Pirates (4-3, 2-3) could not hang on, dropping four of six singles matches. Sylvie Van Cott and Tanya Thompson were both double winners for VC in the match.
In singles, Ventura came close to clinching the match with a triumph in the No. 1 slot by Van Cott, 6-1, 6-2, and a 6-0, 6-3 win by Thompson in the No. 6 match. Unfortunately, VC could not earn one more point, and fell to the Corsairs 5-4.
Ventura next travels to Antelope Valley on Tuesday Feb. 25.
Ventura 4, Santa Monica 5
1. Van Cott/Rojas (VC) def. Mayo/Gulati (SMC), 8-5
2. Jones/Garcia (VC) lost to Zass/Ivens (SMC), 8-0
3. Thompson/Emami (VC) def. Billingsley/Ivemark (SMC), 8-2
1. Sylvie Van Cott (VC) def. Savaughna Mayo (SMC), 6-1, 6-2
2. Aline Rojas (VC) lost to Kiara Gulati (SMC), 6-0, 6-3
3. Allison Jones (VC) lost to Eva Zass (SMC), 6-2, 6-2
4. Denissa Garcia (VC) lost to Sophie Ivens (SMC), 6-2, 6-2
5. Dee Emami (VC) lost to Lavender Billingsley (SMC), 6-2, 6-2
6. Tanya Thompson (VC) def. Lisa Ivemark (SMC), 6-0, 6-3