On an almost perfect day for tennis, the Pirate women had to work to defeat visiting Glendale College Thursday afternoon at the VC Tennis Center. Sylvie Van Cott had an easy time in her love, love win at No. 1 singles, but the remainder of the team had to work to post the 7-2 team victory. Van Cott, Aline Rojas and Allison Jones were all double winners for Ventura (2-1, 1-1) on the day.
Ventura got off to a good start taking two of the three doubles matches. Van Cott and Rojas won their No. 1 doubles match 8-4, while Jones and Dee Emami prevailed in No. 3 doubles by the same count.
The Pirates dominated the singles competition, but it was not easy. Van Cott had a big win at No. 1, but Rojas went to a tiebreaker in the second set in the No. 2 slot to post the victory, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4). Jones triumphed in No. 3 singles 6-0, 6-3 and Denissa Garcia recorded the win at no. 5, 7-5, 6-3. Isabella DeRosa had Ventura's final point with a win in No. 6 singles, 6-4, 6-1.
Ventura next travels to College of the Canyons on Tuesday Feb. 11.
Ventura 7, Glendale 2
1. Van Cott/Rojas (VC) def. Chacon/Ghazaryan (GCC), 8-4
2. Thompson/Garcia (VC) lost to Gueco/Macias (GCC), 8-4
3. Jones/Dee Emami (VC) def. Hakopian/Abrahamyan (GCC), 8-4
1. Sylvie Van Cott (VC) def. Isabella Chacon (GCC), 6-0, 6-0
2. Aline Rojas (VC) def. Elen Ghazaryan (GCC), 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Allison Jones (VC) def. Kiana Gueco (GCC), 6-0, 6-3
4. Tanya Thompson (VC) lost to Brisa Macias (GCC), 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Denissa Garcia (VC) def. Isabella Hakopian (GCC), 7-5, 6-3
6. Isabella DeRosa (VC) def. Mary Abrahamyan (GCC), 6-4, 6-1