The Ventura College women's tennis team lost a 5-4 heart breaker Thursday afternoon at Santa Barbara's Pershing Park. Alyssa Powell won in No. 2 singles, and Allie De Marco won in No. 3 singles before the duo combined to take the No. 1 doubles match. Tricia McClain recorded the other point for the Pirates (0-2, 0-2) with a win at No. 6 singles.
Powell prevailed 6-3, 6-4 in No. 2 singles while De Marco won 6-3, 6-2 in No. 3 singles. McClain won in No. 6 singles 6-1, 6-2 as the Pirates and Vaqueros were tied at 3-3 heading to doubles.
Powell and De Marco won their No. 1 doubles match first, 8-3, to give Ventura a 4-3 advantage before the Pirates lost the No. 2 doubles match for a 4-4 tie. The Vaqueros outlasted the Pirates 8-6 in No. 3 doubles for the final result.
VC will host Cypress at 1:00 pm on Friday Feb. 9 before returning to Western State Conference play on Tuesday Feb. 13 hosting Canyons at 2:00 pm.
1. Lea Meschke (VC) lost to Katelyn Peyvandi (SBCC), 6-4, 6-3
2. Alyssa Powell (VC) def. Gabrielle Goss (SBCC), 6-3, 6-4
3. Allie De Marco (VC) def. Josephine Pulver (SBCC), 6-3, 6-2
4. Jule Lauinger (VC) lost to Pia Valtierra (SBCC), 6-4, 6-0
5. Keressa Garland (VC) lost to Hanna Pesniak (SBCC), 6-2, 6-0
6. Tricia McClain (VC) def. Maddie Mitchell (SBCC), 6-1, 6-2
1. Powell/De Marco (VC) def. Peyvandi/Goss (SBCC), 8-3
2. Meschke/Lauringer (VC) lost to Pulver/Valtierra (SBCC), 8-4
3. Garland/McClain (VC) lost to Michell/Pesniak (SBCC), 8-6