VC freshman Rafael Dunan was on. In his first set Thursday in his No. 5 singles match he won 24 consecutive points to defeat his opponent 6-0 in a "golden set." He also swept the second set,although not in golden fashion, to lead the Pirates to a 9-0 sweep of visiting Santa Barbara in Western State Conference action. Solal Cherqui (No. 1 singles, 6-2, 6-2) and Priyank Soni (No. 2 singles, 6-1, 6-3) both lost just four games in their straight set victories.
Adrien Etiemble swept No. 3 singles, 6-4, 6-2 and Augustin Lestelle won the most competitive match of the day in no. 4 singles, 7-6, 6-2. Alexander Martin won in No. 6 singles 6-1, 6-4 as Ventura (3-0, 2-0) had the match won before doubles play began.
In doubles, Manu Rowe and Rodrigo Perdigao won 8-1 in the No. 3 slot and Soni and Etiemble prevailed in the No. 2 spot, 8-2. Cherqui and Dunan won in No. 1 doubles 8-6 to complete the match sweep for the Pirates.
Ventura next hosts Cypress College at 1:00 pm on Friday Feb. 9. They will then host De Anza on Friday Feb. 16 at the Pierpont Racquet Club.
Ventura 9, Santa Barbara 0
1. Solal Cherqui (VC) def. Guillaume Daurelle (SBCC), 6-2, 6-2
2. Priyank Soni (VC) def. Pierre Alexander Fumat (SBCC), 6-1, 6-3
3. Adrien Etiemble (VC) def. Arthur Scharff (SBCC), 6-4, 6-2
4. Augustin Lestelle (VC) def. Albert Chami (SBCC), 7-6, 6-2
5. Rafael Dunan (VC) def. Kyle Wells (SBCC), 6-0, 6-0 (1st set Golden Set)
6. Alexander Martin (VC) def. Johannes Bonse (SBCC), 6-1, 6-4